Your immigration attorney may need copies of previously filed tax returns to present to the Immigration Court or to Immigration to prove your good moral character and willingness to follow the laws of the United States. It is important that every person who earns income, whether or not they have documents, files a tax return. That’s the law

What if I don’t have a Social Security Number?

You can file a tax return by using an individual tax identification number, or ITIN.

A person must file a tax return and do it correctly. What does that mean?

We see many clients who have been incorrectly advised when filing tax returns. For example, claiming extra dependents and getting extra tax refund money for people who don’t live with you might not be correct. If you did this, it might be necessary for you to correct your tax returns. Your attorney can help you find a tax accountant or other professional who can advise you how to do this the right way.

What if I do not have copies of my old tax returns?

To get records of previously filed tax returns, it is best to make your request in person at a local IRS office. The IRS office can provide you with tax return transcripts for the past 3 years. The IRS office can also provide you with tax account transcripts for every year that you have filed tax returns.  Either document is sufficient to show proof of income tax filing.